The importance of Cyprus as an international commercial centre has greatly increased following the accession of the island to the European Union. There is a corresponding increase in the need to protect intellectual property rights and in particular matters relating to copyright, patents and trademarks in Cyprus.
We undertake the registration of trade marks, trade names, design names and patents in Cyprus as well as registering trademarks and designs (Community Trademark) at the European Trademark Office in the European Union.
Likewise the protection of intellectual property plays an increasingly important part of business life. Our firm can advise on the protection of copyrights, designs, inventions, trade marks, know how and other propietary information and products. We also handle litigation concerning the prevention of infringement of copyrights and other intellectual property rights.
We can also deal with drafting and negotiation of agreements for the sale, acquisition and licensing of intellectual property rights and know-how, computer contracts, Internet subscription agreements and website development agreements.
We deal with all aspect of patent and trade mark protection, design registration, copyright and the licensing of technology. In particular we have particular expertise in the following areas:
- advice on the acquisition, registration and protection of all intellectual property
- registration and renewal of trade marks, patents (national, European and international), industrial designs (including EC Designs) and copyrights
- franchising and licensing
- restrictive trade practices
- competition and agency law
- patent, trademark, copyright proceedings and passing-off actions
- advice on all related tax aspects
- search and investigation services
- trade mark watching and infringement services
- technology transfer agreements
- trade mark oppositions, cancellations and counterfeiting actions
- litigation of other IP rights
When conflict arises concerning intellectual property and litigation cannot be avoided, our firm’s litigation experience and capabilities in the area of intellectual property and business tort law permit it us to effectively handle litigation and administrative proceedings in areas including:
- Patent infringement
- Patent interferences
- Trademark and service mark infringement
- Trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings
- Copyright infringement
- Unfair competition and deceptive business practices information
We structure and negotiate a large number of corporate collaborations, joint ventures and other forms of strategic partnerships involving intellectual property.
We provides assistance to our clients in performance of due diligence assessments on intellectual property aspects of mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, negotiating protection in the agreements, and transferring title and rights to such property.